Believe it or not, eating gluten free food at McDonald’s is far simpler than at any other fast food chain restaurants. This is great news if you have symptoms of gluten sensitivity as an adult. This is because the product ingredients and nutritional information of McDonald’s food are more accessible and their production methods are more standardized; therefore, making them the safer fast food option. If you find yourself in need of a quick meal when out of your element, the gluten-free options at McDonald’s will ensure that your experience is enjoyable and stress-free.
More Info About Gluten Free Foods
Knowing The Ingredients
Recently, McDonald’s published a list of their many gluten-free options allowing consumers to conveniently assess the different menu items suitable for their particular needs. Unfortunately, due to the preparation techniques and ingredients being subject to constant change, the fast food restaurant found this to be an impractical solution. As a resolution, the franchise now posts all the menu ingredients on the company website including the potential allergens associated with the ingredients at the end of the gluten-free ingredient list.
For example, if you are considering ordering the chicken breast strips as a meal, it is possible to review the ingredients list to identify whether or not the item includes wheat as an ingredient. While this method can be a time-consuming one for consumers, it is a more accurate alternative and will allow the consumer to make more informed choices when purchasing meals.
Consuming Gluten-Free Options At McDonald’s
There are various types of gluten-free menu meal options available to eat at McDonald’s. Taking this into account, you can be confident that stating your needs when ordering will result in a gluten-free meal. The staff is trained to meet all dietary requirements and respond accurately to all concerns regarding food ingredients and preparation methods.
The Breakfast Options
There are various options available for breakfast at McDonald’s, provided the meals are ordered ‘a la carte’ and not in conjunction with other meal ingredients. The breakfast options include:
- Scrambled eggs. Ordering the eggs separately and not as a part of the egg and sausage blend will ensure that the eggs are prepared using the whole egg without preservatives.
- Breakfast steak. The breakfast steak is prepared using salt, beef, and certain preservatives.
- Sausage patties. Sausage patties are prepared using pork, water, and a seasoning including different gluten-free ingredients.
The Salad Options
One of the best methods to use as a gluten-free meal option is the McDonald’s salad. All of the McDonald’s salad preparations begin with a vegetable salad, which is free of gluten and wheat. The different salad options include:
- The Premium Southwest Salad. This salad can be ordered without tortilla strips and set alongside the dressing. The dressing is gluten-free because it contains modified food starch with maltodextrin.
- The Premium Bacon Ranch Salad. The ranch dressing on this salad is a gluten-free alternative; however, it needs to ordered without any croutons or chicken pieces to be gluten-free.
- The Premium Caesar Salad. To be considered gluten-free, the Premium Caesar Salad must be ordered without dressing or croutons.
- The Side Salad. This salad is one of the plain salads and prepared using a blend of gluten-free vegetables.
As can be seen, the gluten-free salad options require that you order the salad without any chicken, croutons or traditional dressing. Instead, it is possible to use the Newman’s Own Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette as a gluten-free dressing alternative.
The Dessert And Snacks Options
McDonald’s also presents with various snacks and desserts that are gluten-free, and these include the following.
- Apples with a caramel dip. This dessert is completely gluten-free and includes sliced apples that are dipped in caramel sauce.
- Sundaes. All aspects of a traditional sundae including the ice cream, hot fudge and whipped cream; however, it is advised that you avoid any additional toppings such as Oreo’s or M&M’s.
- The Triple Thick Shake. All flavors of the triple thick shake are completely gluten-free.
- The reduced fat vanilla ice cream. A vanilla ice cream treat, served in a cup, is one of McDonald’s most popular option and unlikely to include gluten unless it is in contact with other foods that contain gluten.
- Smoothies. All McDonald’s smoothie flavors, including the yogurt-blend smoothie, are completely void of gluten.
The Beverage Options
Almost all drinks available are gluten-free, including the options of milk, soda, coffee, juice and other specialty coffee drinks.
The French Fry Controversy
In the early 2000s, McDonald’s was listed as one of the fast food chains that produced has browns and French fries filled with gluten-filled ingredients. In February of 2006, the company stated that while the allegations were correct as there was a flavoring agent utilized in the deep frying oil that contained wheat and milk ingredients. Since the ‘French Fry Controversy,’ McDonald’s has altered this and now lists fries as containing wheat ingredients on official websites.